The Protocol for Advancing Inclusive Teaching Efforts (PAITE) provides instructors with formative, data-informed feedback on a variety of observable inclusive teaching approaches. Prior to the observation, observers learn the PAITE observational codes and practice coding with vignettes from the Inclusive Teaching Visualization Project for reliability. Observers use a template form during the observation to record the instructor’s inclusive teaching behaviors every two minutes. After the observation, they produce a graphical display of the results and summarize the feedback during a debriefing session.
The PAITE is generally more useful when instructors formulate individual goals for inclusive teaching and are observed multiple times to monitor progress. The protocol is also a good starting point for any instructor wanting general feedback on their inclusive teaching practices. There are a variety of other inclusive teaching approaches that instructors can implement that go beyond the PAITE, including those more directly integrating course design. Instructors can use the teaching behaviors on PAITE as a starting point and are encouraged to obtain feedback on other approaches.
High Relationship Building
Resources for Observers
- Training Guide: for educational developers and instructors interested in using the PAITE for classroom observations of teaching (see Appendix B)
- Observation Template Form: used by observers during the observation to code inclusive teaching behaviors
- Pie Chart Generator: for observers to create a pie chart of PAITE inclusive teaching practices to incorporate into the Instructor Feedback Form
- Post-Observation Report: used by observers to summarize feedback from the observation for instructors
- Student Guide: advice from student pedagogical partners who conducted classroom observations using PAITE
Resources for Instructors Observed
- Making Sense of PAITE Feedback: for instructors to aid in reflection on feedback from PAITE observations (see Appendix C)
- Inclusive Teaching Visualization Project: vignettes that allow instructors to reflect on their inclusive teaching practices
Addy, T. M., Younas, H., Cetin, P., Rizk, M., Cham, F., Nwankpa, C., & Borzone, M. (2023). The development of the protocol for advancing inclusive teaching efforts (PAITE). Journal of Educational Research and Practice, 12(0), 65–93. https://doi.org/10.5590/JERAP.2022.12.0.05